About the TPP
Welcome to the Tufnell Park Parents group.
We are a support group for families with mainly pre-school children in Tufnell Park and surrounding areas.
The TPP was set up by a small group of new mothers who found there was little to do locally with their children – see the interview with them. The group is now made up of close to 1,000 local families. The majority are in Tufnell Park, but include up to Whitehall Park in the north down to the bottom of Kentish Town, and from Parliament Hill in the west over to Hornsey Road in the east. We welcome families from all social, religious and ethnic backgrounds.
Our aim is to provide friendship and support because when you have a baby it becomes essential to have local friends within pram-pushing distance. We also aim to keep members informed about what is happening in our area, doing our best to influence decisions that affect us.
We attract members mainly from families with children under five, though people often remain members after their children no longer attend the Tuesday and Friday tea and play sessions, because the group keeps people plugged into the neighbourhood.
The membership includes people with expertise and knowledge in almost everything (lawyers, tree surgeons, internet experts, exercise teachers…), enabling members to appeal for help and advice from within the group.
- Our chief activities centre on teas held by members twice a week. People often go regularly and friendships lasting many years are often forged.
- We also hold summer and Christmas parties, with entertainers for the children and communal buffet tables of contributions made by those attending.
- Four newsletters are published every year.
- There is a regular Fortnightly group email.
- And the TPP’s unique maternity clothes bank is available free of charge to all members.
All this for £10 a year.
All positions in the organisation are voluntary and carried out by TPP members who offer their services alongside parenting and working full or part time. Below is an alphabetical list of the most obvious roles but there are also highly valued contributions from others, not least the newsletter delivery “fairies”, and helpers at specific events, so if these include you, please consider yourself much appreciated too!
- Advertising – firstname.lastname@example.org – contacting newsletter advertisers and billing them for space booked.
- Babysitter list – email@example.com – compiling recommendations from members and details of offspring of members.
- Chair – firstname.lastname@example.org – liaising with the different roles and responding to queries Events – running the summer and Christmas parties.
- Fortnightly – email@example.com – compiling submissions from members and sending out by email every two weeks.
- Holiday Homes – firstname.lastname@example.org – compiling details of holiday homes owned by members, available to rent, and mailing out twice a year.
- Maternity Clothes Bank – email@example.com – holding the stock of maternity garments, available for all members to borrow.
- Membership – firstname.lastname@example.org – maintaining the membership list, compiling the members’ skills list and membership directory.
- Newsletter – email@example.com – seeking and editing the news, articles, listings and more in the quarterly newsletter.
- Recommendations – firstname.lastname@example.org – compiling recommendations from members for the trades, teaching, health and well-being and general services lists in the newsletter.
- Table Top Sales – email@example.com – organising sales to meet demand from members.
- Tea List – firstname.lastname@example.org – compiling the quarterly list of teas, hosted by members.
- Treasurer – email@example.com – billing newsletter advertisers and paying for services including the membership database, web site, newsletter printing and events.